Monday, 08 October 2007

Do not feed after Midnight

My eleven year old son was given a white mouse/rat last week by his uncle. Cage, food the works. Luckily for me ( or rather my marriage), he lives with my ex-wife so I had no explaining to do to my wife.

He visited me last weekend. When I went to fetch him at his mother's on Friday afternoon he spent a good five minutes giving detailed instructions to his granny as to the care of the rodent.

I dropped him off at five on Sunday afternoon. I chatted with his granny, drinking a cup of coffee. He asked her whether she had taken care of the rat. She said, "damn..He had better go feed the rat and give it water and food..she had forgotton all about it. He gave her a disbelieving stare and charged down the corridor to his room to save his pet. I heard him mumble something then he carried the cage into the lounge.

"Ouma, " he asked, "why is my white rat black?" He was totally confused. There was a black rat/mouse in the cage.

I looked at his granny and laughed. I asked her :"did you feed him after midnight?"

My son looked at me like I was mad. "Daddy, its a mouse, not a Mogwai!!"

I roared with laughter when the white mouse poked it's head out of the cottonwool nest. His granny had bought black mouse to keep the white one company.

God help them if these mice breed!!

No comments: