Monday, 11 June 2007

My money is (not) my money

I read an article the other day that statistically, the most common argument in all marriages or relationships is about money. More specifically about who is in control of the money.

The Flea and I have just become a statistic.

Money is not normally something we argue about. The Flea regards the old saying of "my money is my money and your money is my money" as being part of our marriage vows. Not that I can remember anything like that being said, by me at least. Due to circumstances, I happen to earn about four times what the Flea earns. Technically speaking she does not have to work. But, being the independent woman she is, she insists on working. I have no problem with that. Her money is her money, to spend as she sees fit.

The argument amuses me. She called me and asked me to lend her a hundred bucks. I said "Ok, but since when do I lend you money? Or since when do you pay any loans back? In the five years we have been married, you have 'borrowed' thousands, without any repayment.You always say my money is my money, your mon-"

Was that the wrong thing to say! My ear is still ringing - The Flea let me know in no uncertain terms what she thought of that statement.

I guess I am sleeping with the mutt in the dogbox tonight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.