Monday, 07 May 2007

Sitting in the Waiting room, waiting

I have one of those wives. One who believes that a medical aid must be used up by April, before the winter colds have arrived to make life a misery for the entire household. (I call my better half the Flea , she is small, a redhead, and she always bites me shit). As she is Afrikaans, this translates to “Vlooi. The Flea is not one of those mothers that will doctor the kids with Granny’s magic remedies. Oh no, at the first sign of the sniffles, I am drafted into making appointments with the GP. I sometimes feel the Flea thinks we have shares in the Medical Centre, or the Pharmacy. Well, I wish that I had, I would be a bloody millionaire...

I digress,
Where do doctor’s and dentists and for that matter psychiatrists(yes I have seen one- I am married,dammit), get their magazines from? Reader's Digest from November 1987, or the National Geographic from 1978. They have all been read to shreds, with missing pages, which really pisses me off. Just when you are getting into the mysteries of the Andes, the last page is gone!
When the medical centre is part of a large group, a;ll you get in the in-house magazine with neverending interviews with a CEO, promising 'affordable healthcare, with a conscience', or something similar. Where is the CAR magazine, or Playboy or hell, the Huisgenoot? A new one?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they figure people who go to the doctor are worried shitless something is wrong so won't notice the mags are long past their sell-by-date. Especially shrinks, I guess. By the way, your wife is on to a good thing. If I had to pay truckloads of money on medical aid I would head to my GP as soon as I even think of getting sick. Otherwise they just take your money and get rich!

Anonymous said...

Now imagine all the germs and bacteria that have made those magazines their home!